Holy Trinity Bothenhampton is built in Arts and Crafts style and was Edward Prior’s first church.
He undertook an extensive study of local churches
and developed a sophisticated analytical approach
to designing the building, and a philosophy that sought
to build appropriately for its religious function.
The roof was the most radical feature of the church,
later forming the model for the great roof at Prior’s
masterwork at St Andrew’s Church, Roker.
Elements of Richard Norman Shaw’s influence remain,
particularly in the porch but Prior’s knowledge and
love of Early English church architecture in particular
Prior was careful to use local materials,
selected with skill and handled with craftsmanship.
He was also able to develop furnishings and decoration
to provide a holistic design for the church and its fittings.
At Bothenhampton Prior designed the font, the altar rails,
the choir stalls, and chest, the doors.
The altar table was designed with William Lethaby
and executed by Augustus Mason.
All the furnishings were in English oak.
Lethaby designed the
altar front in gesso, with intertwined wild roses, leaves and stems.
A wrought iron chancel screen was added in 1895